ERROR while calling W&B API: permission denied

Hi
I’m encountering the following error when attempting to initialize W & B:

import wandb
wandb.init(project=“opencompute”, entity=“neuralinternet”)

The error message is as follows:

wandb: ERROR while calling W&B API: permission denied (<Response [403]>)
RESULT message: “It appears that you do not have permission to access the requested resource. Please reach out to the project owner to grant you access. If you have the correct permission, verify that there are no issues with your connection setup. (Error 403: Forbidden)”
code COMMUNICATION

The project is set to open access, and the API key is correctly configured. Other users accessing the same project do not encounter this error. Additionally, when I switch to an API key of a user who does not experience this issue, the error does not occur on the same machine/environment. This leads me to believe the error is related to the specific API key.

Steps already performed:

1. rm -rf ~/.config/wandb
  2. rm ~/.netrc
  3. rm -rf wandb
  4. pip3 unistall wandb
  5. pip3 install wandb==0.16.6
  6. use browser and go to https://wandb.ai/authorize and copy the API key.
  7. wandb login --relogin <API_KEY>

Project usage details:

Total runs: 2130
Storage: 1.5GB/100GB

I would appreciate any assistance in resolving this issue. Thank you!

Hey @fabian, could you please go ahead and update to the latest version of wandb?

Could you also call wandb.login(key="<your_api_key>") before calling wandb.init(project=“opencompute”, entity=“neuralinternet”)?

1 Like

Hi there, I wanted to follow up on this request. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance or if your issue has been resolved.

Hi @artsiom
Many thanks for your input but unfortunately the problem has not yet been solved. However, we were able to narrow down the problem; all newly created wandb accounts and API keys show the error shown, old accounts and API keys work.
All the fail cases are related to the GraphQL return 403 permission error.
I simply execute the below wandb init/login with my two accounts (account A & B)
Newly created account B shows the error, older account A works.

Script:

python3 - <<EOF
import wandb
wandb.login(key="xxxxx")
run = wandb.init(project="opencompute", entity="neuralinternet")
print(run.id)
EOF

Hi @fabian, thank you for the follow up that is very interesting.

Could you please send me a link to an account you have created recently and is getting a permissions error?

Hi! Wanted to follow up with you regarding this thread Fabian!

Hi, since we have not heard back from you, we are going to close this request. If you would like to reopen the conversation, please let us know! Unfortunately, at the moment, we do not receive notifications if a thread reopens on Discourse. So, please feel free to create a new ticket regarding your concern if you’d like to continue the conversation.

I’m seeing a similar issue now - I can authenticate with the API fine, but a coworker that just joined our project is getting permission issues

Same problem here:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/air/workspace/train.py”, line 21, in
wandb.init(project=“EasyDeL-Qwen-Tune”, entity=“sjssmits”)
File “/home/air/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/wandb/sdk/wandb_init.py”, line 1195, in init
wandb._sentry.reraise(e)
File “/home/air/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/wandb/analytics/sentry.py”, line 155, in reraise
raise exc.with_traceback(sys.exc_info()[2])
File “/home/air/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/wandb/sdk/wandb_init.py”, line 1181, in init
return wi.init()
File “/home/air/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/wandb/sdk/wandb_init.py”, line 785, in init
raise error
wandb.errors.CommError: It appears that you do not have permission to access the requested resource. Please reach out to the project owner to grant you access. If you have the correct permissions, verify that there are no issues with your networking setup.(Error 403: Forbidden)

I am also getting the same error when trying to log data to any of my projects.
I tried upgrading to the latest version, force relogin, using the key with wandb.login()
The only difference is, that I get a 404 error:

It appears that you do not have permission to access the requested resource. Please reach out to the project owner to grant you access. If you have the correct permissions, verify that there are no issues with your networking setup.(Error 404: Not Found)

1 Like

I am getting the same 404 error.

import wandb
wandb.init()
wandb: Currently logged in as: (). Use wandb login --relogin to force relogin
wandb: ERROR Error while calling W&B API: run “azbe8cda” not found while updating run (<Response [404]>)
wandb: ERROR It appears that you do not have permission to access the requested resource. Please reach out to the project owner to grant you access. If you have the correct permissions, verify that there are no issues with your networking setup.(Error 404: Not Found)

I’m getting the same error:

import wandb
wandb.init(project=‘scPrinterSeq_v3’)
wandb: Currently logged in as: ruochiz. Use wandb login --relogin to force relogin
wandb: ERROR Error while calling W&B API: run “i1320rhy” not found while updating run (<Response [404]>)
wandb: ERROR It appears that you do not have permission to access the requested resource. Please reach out to the project owner to grant you access. If you have the correct permissions, verify that there are no issues with your networking setup.(Error 404: Not Found)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 1, in
File “/home/rzhang/miniforge3/envs/scprinter/lib/python3.10/site-packages/wandb/sdk/wandb_init.py”, line 1195, in init
wandb._sentry.reraise(e)
File “/home/rzhang/miniforge3/envs/scprinter/lib/python3.10/site-packages/wandb/analytics/sentry.py”, line 155, in reraise
raise exc.with_traceback(sys.exc_info()[2])
File “/home/rzhang/miniforge3/envs/scprinter/lib/python3.10/site-packages/wandb/sdk/wandb_init.py”, line 1181, in init
return wi.init()
File “/home/rzhang/miniforge3/envs/scprinter/lib/python3.10/site-packages/wandb/sdk/wandb_init.py”, line 785, in init
raise error
wandb.errors.CommError: It appears that you do not have permission to access the requested resource. Please reach out to the project owner to grant you access. If you have the correct permissions, verify that there are no issues with your networking setup.(Error 404: Not Found)

I am getting the same error today, yesterday was fine.

im also getting the same goddam error

wandb.errors.CommError: It appears that you do not have permission to access the requested resource. Please reach out to the project owner to grant you access. If you have the correct permissions, verify that there are no issues with your networking setup.(Error 404: Not Found)

I am getting the same error :cry:

I have the same error as well. Tried removing .netrc and adding wand.login before wandb.init. Doesn’t solve the issue.

Is this the wandb error? or my personal error?
many people have the same error now.
Are there anyone who can use wandb now?

1 Like

TEMPORARY SOLUTION:
For now wandb can still be used by providing an id to the run of a run that was created but failed with an 404 error

e.g.
wandb.init(
entity=
project=
id=“xxx”
)

it seems like there is a delay when creating new runs which causes wandb not to find them?

I’ve been getting permission error starting about 20 mins ago.

I am getting the same error, any solutions?