Wandb: WARNING Invalid value for property root_dir

Hello,

I defined wandb_log_dir to be another directory than where my code resides and received the following warning: “wandb: WARNING Invalid value for property root_dir: /home/xx/xxx/experiments. This will raise an error in the future.”

Normally I am not particularly concerned about warnings. But because it said “This will raise an error in the future”, I would like to know what is considered a valid value for property root_dir (and why)? If defining it the way I did, why will it raise an error done the road?

Many thanks in advance!

Hi @rcheng this means that unexpected settings will throw an error in next releases, while for now these **kwarg will be ignored in order to initialise the run with the default value instead. It’s coming from this line of our SDK code.

Could you please provide a bit more information, where you set up this parameter, from the environment variables or from wandb.init() call? Would it be possible to share a code snippet of the line that gives this warning, and also what OS you’re using?

Hi @thanos-wandb , thanks for the info.

I am on 20.04.3 LTS and here is how I set up this parameter :

(from run.py)

from pytorch_lightning.loggers import WandbLogger

wandb_log_dir = Path(config['logging_params']['save_dir']) / args.run_name
wandb_logger = WandbLogger(save_dir=wandb_log_dir,
                           name=args.run_name,
                           project="beta-vae"
                           )

config.yaml file:

logging_params:
  save_dir: "logs/" # or "/home/xx/xxx/experiments" (the same warning pops up)
  manual_seed: 1265
  name: 'BetaVAE'

Actually I realized that the warning pops up, regardless of the save_dir is under where the code resides or in a completely different directory. (I originally thought the warning showed up because it was expecting the log_dir to be at the same directory as the code.)

Thanks in advance for further hints!

Hi @rcheng thanks for the additional information, I have tried to reproduce the same issue using your code snippet but I didn’t get the same warning. Could you please to explicitly set save_dir='.'or save_dir=/home/dir1/dir2/experiments? Would this work for you? also, is Path from the pathlib package and could you please print(wandb_log_dir) and post the output here as well?

Hi @rcheng I wanted to follow up with you on this issue, and see if it still occurs for you? Would any of the above work for you? thanks!

Hi @rcheng since we haven’t heard back from you in a while, I will go ahead and close this ticket for now. If this warning still occurs for you, please let us know and we will be happy to keep investigating!

Hi @thanos-wandb ,

Sorry for the delayed response. Somehow the warning went away. I will report here if it shows up again in the coming days. Many thanks for the hints.

Hi @rcheng glad to hear that, and thanks a lot for the update! Sure, please let us know if that pops up again and we can take it from there.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.