Special Session w Thomas Viehmann : How to make the most out of community resources

:closed_book: Topic: Making most of Pytorch community resources

:alarm_clock: Time: Wednesday, Aug 25: 15:00 UTC/08:00am PT/20:30pm IST, Duration: 90 minutes

Note: Reading sessions start on Aug 29, 15:00 UTC/08:00am PT/20:30pm IST

:raising_hand_woman::raising_hand_man: Sign up Link

Hi Everyone!

I’m super excited to announce my first book reading group at W&B! I’m so grateful that we live in such an incredible community where we can not only access knowledge freely but also the authors are really community oriented:

Thomas Viehmann, one of the Core-Dev(s) of PyTorch and co-author of the book will be teaching us how to make the most out of community resources: making most of Pytorch community resources with forums, examples, reading library.

Links/Resources:

>>> Link to Discussion thread for Sunday, 29 Aug Meetup

12 Likes

Hey @bhutanisanyam1 , I guess on Aug 25th, 8:00 PT is going to clash with fast book reading group time. I guess people interested in this have to watch the recording. Or is there a way either can be changed so that interested people can participate live.

2 Likes

Fastbook sessions are at 8 pm PT and this session is at 8 am PT. So no clashes there.

2 Likes

Lol, I missed that. Thanks .

1 Like

@vrc0503 you gave me a mini heart attack there :joy:

3 Likes

Sorry @bhutanisanyam1 :grinning:. My bad.

2 Likes

Same! I had a mini heart attack too! :smiley:

4 Likes

Sorry @amanarora . I got a real heart attack looking at time missing that AM/PM thing.

2 Likes

Hi @bhutanisanyam1 , I am new here, I registered for PyTorch Reading Group. May I know, where should I post questions related to the session? Here or in Zoom live?

1 Like

@edwardcodes Kindly post them here, we’ll ask them here so that we can screen share and answer them. Otherwise the wonderful people who take the time to watch the recording find it hard to understand what’s being discussed.

Thanks for checking :slight_smile:

Hi Everyone. Good Morning / Good Evening. I am excited about this study group and looking forward to learn from each one of you.

3 Likes

What is your favourite chai, Thomas?

2 Likes

Hi @bhutanisanyam1 , my question, Google JAX is based on numpy which is more similar to pytorch. So what would be future of pytorch against JAX and other languages? Will pytorch competes with tf production capability (industry standard)?

3 Likes

@bhutanisanyam1 My question is, having some many frameworks like fastAI, pytorch, Tensorflow & JAX. what would be the learning curve for pytorch as compared to other frameworks & how would convince an absolute beginner to adopt to pytorch as the first framework ?

4 Likes

Hey Sanyam and Thomas,
Thanks for being here… Pretty excited to start this journey :blush:

3 Likes

Thomas,
How do you recommend working through the book? I imagine everything builds off of itself, so it’s important to make sure concepts are solidified before moving on?

3 Likes

Hey :grinning:
Thanks for this incredible initiative! I’m sure it will be full of learning opportunities!

2 Likes

Hi Sanyam and Thomas,
First of all, thanks for hosting this very useful session. My question as someone just starting to learn PyTorch is, what is the most effective way of learning it? Is it reading the book first and then get hands on, or do both parallely?
Thank you!

8 Likes

How much OOP is needed to get the most out of Pytorch? Also, any additional resources to learn OOP?

5 Likes

Hey!
Great way to start the reading group. Hoping to learn a lot from all of you (and return the favor :smiley: )

Thomas, how did you get into the habit of writing when you where writing the book?

1 Like