Digest mismatch error when trying to download model artifact from S3

I’m using AWS Sagemaker to train a Keras model with the Wandb callback. In my Sagemaker script, I save checkpoints to '/opt/ml/checkpoints/' which it redirects to an s3 bucket continuously. After the model has finished training, I create my artifact and add a reference to that bucket.

Later, if I try to download the model with:

model_path = run.use_artifact(...)
model_path.download()

I get the following error:

ValueError: Digest mismatch for object s3://…/variables/variables.data-00000-of-00001: expected 4f8d37a52a3e87f1f0ee2d3101688848-3 but found 8ad5ef5242d547d7edaa76f620597b60-3

My guess is that I’ve added the reference to the artifact before Sagemaker has pushed the final model from the local directory to S3. I’m not sure how to get around this, is there a better way to have my Artifacts be linked to an S3 bucket?

Hi Ben! Is this the whole error message received?

If there is a stack trace associated to this error, it would be great to be able to have a look and also if it is possible, I would like to have a look at how you are uploading this artifact before I can give you a complete answer here.

There could be multiple reasons for the digest to be mismatched, so I would need some more information to get a complete understanding of the issue to help you out here.

Thanks,
Ramit

Thanks Ramit!

Here’s how everything currently works. In Sagemaker, I define my Tensorflow estimator as follows:

tf_estimator = TensorFlow(
                          checkpoint_s3_uri    = f's3://ds-models-1/{model_name}/{run_name}',
                          checkpoint_local_path= '/opt/ml/checkpoints/')

Then in my training script, I make the Checkpoint callback:

model_checkpoint_callback = tf.keras.callbacks.ModelCheckpoint(
        filepath='/opt/ml/checkpoints/',
        save_weights_only=False,
        monitor='val_accuracy',
        mode='max',
        save_best_only=True)

So the model checkpoints are saved to ‘/opt/ml/checkpoints/’ and Sagemaker monitors that folder and pushes to my S3 bucket.

After training completes in the script, I create my Wandb artifact:

art = wandb.Artifact(job_name, type="model")
    art.add_reference(f's3://ds-models-1/{model_name}/{run_name}')
    wandb.log_artifact(art)

All of that works well and I can see my model uploaded to S3 as well as listed as an artifact in Wandb.
When I then go into my notebook to try to download the model, here’s what I get:

run = wandb.init(name="download_model", project=project, job_type="testing")
model_path = run.use_artifact(wandb_model_name, type='model')
model_path.download()

ValueError Traceback (most recent call last)
/tmp/ipykernel_11366/3182984502.py in <cell line: 4>()
3 model_path = run.use_artifact(‘distributedspectrum/RadioML-Experimentation/RadioML-1d-conv-training-run-1:v0’, type=‘model’)
----> 4 model_path.download()
~/anaconda3/envs/tensorflow2_p38/lib/python3.8/site-packages/wandb/apis/public.py in download(self, root, recursive)
4522 pool = multiprocessing.dummy.Pool(32)
→ 4523 pool.map(
4524 partial(self._download_file, root=dirpath, download_logger=download_logger),
4525 manifest.entries,
~/anaconda3/envs/tensorflow2_p38/lib/python3.8/multiprocessing/pool.py in map(self, func, iterable, chunksize)
362 in a list that is returned.
363 ‘’’
→ 364 return self._map_async(func, iterable, mapstar, chunksize).get()
366 def starmap(self, func, iterable, chunksize=None):
~/anaconda3/envs/tensorflow2_p38/lib/python3.8/multiprocessing/pool.py in get(self, timeout)
769 return self._value
770 else:
→ 771 raise self._value
773 def _set(self, i, obj):
~/anaconda3/envs/tensorflow2_p38/lib/python3.8/multiprocessing/pool.py in worker(inqueue, outqueue, initializer, initargs, maxtasks, wrap_exception)
123 job, i, func, args, kwds = task
124 try:
→ 125 result = (True, func(*args, **kwds))
126 except Exception as e:
127 if wrap_exception and func is not _helper_reraises_exception:
~/anaconda3/envs/tensorflow2_p38/lib/python3.8/multiprocessing/pool.py in mapstar(args)
47 def mapstar(args):
—> 48 return list(map(*args))
50 def starmapstar(args):
~/anaconda3/envs/tensorflow2_p38/lib/python3.8/site-packages/wandb/apis/public.py in _download_file(self, name, root, download_logger)
4620 ):
4621 # download file into cache and copy to target dir
→ 4622 downloaded_path = self.get_path(name).download(root)
4623 if download_logger is not None:
4624 download_logger.notify_downloaded()
~/anaconda3/envs/tensorflow2_p38/lib/python3.8/site-packages/wandb/apis/public.py in download(self, root)
3943 manifest = self._parent_artifact._load_manifest()
3944 if self.entry.ref is not None:
→ 3945 cache_path = manifest.storage_policy.load_reference(
3946 self._parent_artifact,
3947 self.name,
~/anaconda3/envs/tensorflow2_p38/lib/python3.8/site-packages/wandb/sdk/wandb_artifacts.py in load_reference(self, artifact, name, manifest_entry, local)
962 local: bool = False,
963 ) → str:
→ 964 return self._handler.load_path(artifact, manifest_entry, local)
966 def _file_url(
~/anaconda3/envs/tensorflow2_p38/lib/python3.8/site-packages/wandb/sdk/wandb_artifacts.py in load_path(self, artifact, manifest_entry, local)
1120 ‘No storage handler registered for scheme “%s”’ % str(url.scheme)
1121 )
→ 1122 return self._handlers[str(url.scheme)].load_path(
1123 artifact, manifest_entry, local=local
1124 )
~/anaconda3/envs/tensorflow2_p38/lib/python3.8/site-packages/wandb/sdk/wandb_artifacts.py in load_path(self, artifact, manifest_entry, local)
1430 )
1431 else:
→ 1432 raise ValueError(
1433 “Digest mismatch for object %s: expected %s but found %s”
1434 % (manifest_entry.ref, manifest_entry.digest, etag)
ValueError: Digest mismatch for object s3://ds-models-1/RadioML-1d-conv/training-run-1/saved_model.pb: expected bd308623d5d8db45d883aa98e570147d but found 584fe63cdb5cff0663c058e57527dded

Sometimes, it’ll complain about the “saved_model.pb” file and sometimes it’ll be one of the Keras variable files.

Hi @dspectrum,

Looking at your error and tracing back through our code - looks like versioning is not enabled on your S3 bucket, which means the artifact is changing the file itself, leading to different hashes. I would suggest turning on versioning on your S3 bucket and letting me know if you still run into the same error.

1 Like

Hi Ben,

We wanted to follow up with you regarding your support request as we have not heard back from you. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance or if your issue has been resolved.

Thanks,
Ramit

Hi Ben, since we have not heard back from you we are going to close this request. If you would like to re-open the conversation, please let us know!

Apologies for the delay, this appears to have solved it! Thanks for the help

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.