What is the W&B sdk "Step" counter logging?

Hi,

On my W&B sweep workspace, there is a variable called “Step” that is the default x-axis for several graph panels.
Screen Shot 2023-08-29 at 12.52.52 PM

This has caused me several issues in understanding my data, until I realized that the step I log from my code has a different name. I saw in Stable Baslines3: step vs global_step vs tensorboard step - #2 by mohammadbakir that W&B logs a custom step, which I assume this is. But my question is: What is this step? It’s intervals do not seem to correspond to anything in my code so what is the meaning of this variable?

Thanks!

Hey @adamits, the step variable in the W&B UI is the internal step counter that is incremented every time a wandb.log call is made. This means that there is a possibility that the wandb log counter is not aligned with the training step in your training loop. More details abut this can be found in our documentation here.

Hi @adamits , since we have not heard back from you we are going to close this request. If you would like to re-open the conversation, please let us know!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.