Hypersweep metric with a dictionary hierarchy

I am creating hyper parameter sweeps of a linear regression problem, which has gone without a hitch so far. However, I am working to improve my skills with wand. In particular, I logged dictionaries of dictionaries. Here is an example:

wandb.log({
    'epoch': epoch,     
    'train':{'min_loss': t_min_loss, 'min_loss_epoch': t_min_loss_epoch},                  
    'valid':{'min_loss': t_min_loss, 'min_loss_epoch': t_min_loss_epoch}
  } , step=epoch, commit=True)

The metric should be the training loss. How does one specify it when using dictionary hierarchies? Have I done it correctly below?

# docs: https://docs.wandb.ai/guides/sweeps/configuration
sweep_config3 = {
    'name' : 'broad_sweep', 
    'method' : 'random',
    'metric' : {
                'name': {'train': 'loss'},
                'goal': 'minimize',
               },
    'parameters' : {
        'lr' : {
            'distribution': 'log_uniform_values',
            'min': 1.e-3, 
            'max': 1.e-1},
        'batch_size' : { 'value': 32 },
        'optim' : { 'value': 'adamw' },
        'nb_layers' : { 'values': [0, 2, 4] },
        'pts_layer': { 'values': [5, 10, 30] },
        'nb_epochs': { 'value': 200},
    }
}

Hi @erlebacher , for your initial block of code, you can log dictionary of dictionaries just fine in a single run. However you cannot set a sweep up to optimize for multiple metrics at the same time. This will results in the following error message when attempting to do so:

wandb: WARNING Malformed sweep config detected! This may cause your sweep to behave in unexpected ways.
wandb: WARNING To avoid this, please fix the sweep config schema violations below:
wandb: WARNING   Violation 1. {'loss': None, 'train': None} is not of type 'string'

You will have to pass a single value in metric within your sweep config.

Thank you, @mohammadbakir . I do understand the point you make. But what if in the example above, I wish the metric to be min_loss, defined under train?

wandb.log({
    'epoch': epoch,     
    'train':{'min_loss': t_min_loss, 'min_loss_epoch': t_min_loss_epoch},                  
    'valid':{'min_loss': t_min_loss, 'min_loss_epoch': t_min_loss_epoch}
  } , step=epoch, commit=True)

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.